Monday 17 October 2011

Mojito as a training aid?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a few thoughts and anecdotes about the periods leading up to and following our 5km charity run (which Tannys just blogged about).  Our unconventional (i.e. innovative) pre-run strategy in the night before:

Pitcher of cherry-flavour mojito


The mojito was delicious, although I can't honestly recommend this as a training strategy the night before an early morning run... It probably made it a bit more challenging.  Nonetheless, I'm on vacation this week, so you have to live a little, right?

Following the run, while Tannys was at the conference, I decided to do a fun/easy workout.  Generally, I would not recommend doing two workouts in a day, as you can risk overtraining and injuries.  In this case, though, I set an easy pace and did a 'traditional' weight workout for back & biceps:


3 sets, taking longer (1-2 minutes) rest periods in between sets.

  • Pullups (wide grip)
  • Seated rows (machine)
  • Low-back extensions (machine)
  • Face-pulls (using a cable station)
  • Chinups (underhand grip)
  • Alternating dumbbell curls
Post-workout, I enjoyed a lovely BBQ chicken pizza by the pool.  That was another unusual perk of being on vacation - the ability to alternate between soaking in the hot-tub and pool after the workout and lunch.  It certainly helped relax my muscles (almost as relaxing as a mojito!).

Well, that's it for today.  Stay tuned for some more blog posts on our thoughts on working out while travelling/vacationing.

- Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment